Sunday, May 18, 2014

What does the work tell us about right and wrong? (Vixen) #9

When Gloria went to the Speakeasy, she knew it was wrong.  She isn't the kind of girl that would go to a place like that.  The author made it easy for the reader to understand that it was a bad decision.  When Gloria cut her hair into a bob, she knew that her parents and fiance would be angry at her.  She did it anyway because before she got her hair cut, she said "Well, if I am going to sin, I may as well sin badly. I mean, boldly" (Larkin, 39). The quote makes the reader realize that Gloria didn't care about what would happen if she did get her hair cut.  When Clara was on the train and she ran into a man who she thought was handsome, she stopped herself because she knew that it was wrong.  She even told him "I guess I'm not the type of girl you thought I was" (Larkin, 26).  The quote tells the reader that Clara wants to change so she can be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment