Sunday, May 18, 2014

Text-to-text, Text-to-self, Text-to-world connections (Vixen) #3

Even though I have not read it yet, I think that The Great Gatsby could relate to Vixen.  I've seen the movie, and I have found many similarities between the two.  One similarity is that they're both based in the 1920's.  Another similarity is that it is during prohibition, so it is illegal to drink alcohol, but they do it anyway.  It was popular to smoke back then, so almost everyone did, including teenagers and even doctors.
I can relate to this book because the girls in this book are in high school and so am I.  I can relate to Clara the most because she prefers the city over a rural area.  Another reason is because she has a middle class lifestyle.  She was surprised when she arrived at her cousin Gloria's house, because she lives in a mansion and she is very wealthy.  I can also relate to Clara because she is trying to change into a better person. 
A similarity between the book and the world is that a lot of people go out to drink and have a good time, but back then it was illegal to drink.  Another similarity is that many people live in a middle class lifestyle.  

3 comments:

  1. i havent ever heard of this book but i really liked the great gatsby so maybe this would be a good book for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great connections. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think the movie 'The Great Gatsby' is similar to the book and the comparison would be the same?

    ReplyDelete